Click on “Directions to” and then click on “My location” our map app will supply you with driving directions to
The Post Office & Barn from your current location.
Drive Time ……. 5 hours drive
Distance: 476 km
- Take the Hume Highway from Sydney then just south of Goulburn take the Federal Highway and travel south to Canberra.
- Just outside of Canberra follow the signs to the Monaro Highway to Cooma.
- The Monaro Highway then joins the Kosciuszko Rd, follow this road to Jindabyne. Drive through Jindabyne and take a left onto the Alpine Way in the direction of Thredbo (about 3 minutes after Jindabyne town centre).
- Pender Lea Post Office & Barn are located 15 minutes from the Alpine Way turn off. Post Office Lane is situated on the left hand side of the Alpine Way. Post Office Lane is marked by a yellow road sign.
If arriving during the daytime a Sothern Cross windmill on the left indicates you are a minute away from the Post Office Lane turn off.
Drive Time ……. 2.5 hours drive
Distance: 182 km
- Follow signs to Cooma in a southerly direction. Continue through Cooma and on to Jindabyne.
- Drive through Jindabyne and take a left onto the Alpine Way in the direction of Thredbo (about 3 minutes after Jindabyne town centre).
- Pender Lea Post Office & Barn are located 15 minutes from the Alpine Way turn off at 1 Post Office Lane. Post Office Lane is situated on the left hand side of the Alpine Way. Post Office Lane is signed by a yellow road sign. If arriving during the daytime a Sothern Cross windmill indicates you are a minute away from the Post Office Lane turn off.
Drive Time ……. 7 hours drive
Distance: 682 km
- Follow the Hume Highway to Wodonga, taking the Murray Valley Highways Wodonga/Tallangatta exit.
- After passing Wodonga, follow the signs to Tallangatta. Drive through Corryong and take the Khancoban turn-off on the right.
- Once in Khancoban you are only 61kms from Pender Lea Post Office & Barn. Check road conditions in winter as this road can be covered in snow. Follow the signs to Thredbo.
- Once you reach Thredbo continue along the Alpine Way in the direction of Jindabyne. The Post Office & Barn are located 15 minutes from Thredbo on the right hand side. 1 Post Office Lane is marked by a yellow road sign. Turn into Post Office Lane and you will see The Barn & Post Office on the left hand side.
Canberra Airport, Canberra
Snowy Mountains Airport, Cooma
The Snowy Mountains Airport is located 50 minutes from The Post Office & Barn. AeroPelican are now flying in winter from Sydney Kingsford Smith airport to Snowy Mountains Airport, Cooma.
Flights can be booked through www.aeropelican.com.au. Car Hire is available at the airport.
National Park Fees
The Post Office & Barn are located just outside of the Kosciuszko National Park
In order to access the the National Park you will need to purchase an access sticker which you must display in your car window otherwise you will be fined. ocated just outside of the Kosciuszko National Park.
The Park passes cost $27.00 per day in winter (from the beginning of June long weekend to the end of the October long weekend) and $16.00 a day in summer. If you are staying longer than a week or visit other national parks through out the year your most economical option is to buy an annual All Parks Pass which costs $190.00. You can purchase your pass at the Park Gates or at the NPWS Visitors Centre located in the heart of Jindabyne. We suggest your purchase your pass in Jindabyne, then you can use the express lane at the Park Gates and not have to wait in line to pay.
If you catch the Ski Tube to Perisher your national park entry fee is included in the train fare.
For further information contact National Parks and Wildlife Service Snowy Region Visitors Centre on132701 or 02 6450551
To ensure a safe journey to the snow & during your holiday we suggest taking the following measures:
Make sure you have anti-freeze in your car before you leave or as soon as you arrive. Even as early as March we can get frosts, don”t risk freezing your cars engine. You can buy anti-freeze from the petrol station.
Check you car battery is in good order with no leaks around the points if the battery is old the cold will probably finish its life. The last thing you want is fresh snow on the hill and a flat battery. Very importantly check your tyres, make sure they have good grip on their treads for wet and icy conditions.
Driving in the snow and ice conditions requires extreme caution. Keep an ear and eye out for the latest road conditions and drive accordingly. The local radio stations have road condition updates every 15 minutes when it is snowing.
Snow chains are required to be carried in all 2 wheel drive vehicles within the National Park (4 wheel drive vehicles are exempt from carrying chains).
Almost 99% of the time you will not need chains to get to the Pender Lea Post Office & Barn. However if you are driving over the Alpine Way from Victoria, in winter, you should hire chains in Khancoban. The National Parks and Wildlife Service requires that all 2 wheel drive vehicles must carry chains when entering the Kosciuszko National Park. Fitting chains is easy once you know how, so make sure to listen closely to any instructions you are given at the Service Station.
Chains can be hired in Cooma or Jindabyne at most service stations.
Local service stations are generally open between 6.00 am and 9.00pm throughout winter.
BP Jindabyne is open 24 hours a day in winter.
There is an NRMA service in Jindabyne – Phone 64562170 or 131111 for roadside assistance